Australian Immigration British and Australian passports and plane tickets
Banner Default Image

Understanding the Australian Visa system can be a little daunting and at times a bit confusing.

But don’t let that dampen your enthusiasm, at Mint R2R we make it easy for you, we’ve laid it all out in plain english so you know exactly where you stand and what you need in order to get the ball rolling for a new life down under.

Although it is true that moving often means leaving friends and family behind, we can assure you that you are not the only one who feels this way.

According to the Australian Department of Home Affairs, UK citizens are among the top nationalities to apply for skilled work visas in Australia. In the 2019-2020 financial year, UK citizens lodged 5,443 primary visa applications under the skilled stream, which includes work visas.

What types of Australian visas are available to me?

There are three main types of Australian Visa you can apply for to be able to live and work in the country. W
e cover them in a bit more detail below to help you understand what your options are and which visa you are eligible for.

Australian Work Visas

Work visas are designed to let you work while you're living in Australia. There are several types of working visas, each with its own rules and restrictions. Some require you to be sponsored by an employer; others allow you to apply even if you don't have a job lined up before you arrive.

We have outlined below a brief overview of the available work visas:

Working Holiday visa (subclass 417): 

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) is a visa for young adults who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to 3 years in total. 
The Working Holiday Visa lets UK citizens aged 18 to 30 years old live and work in Australia for up to 12 months at a time.
You may apply for up to 3 Working Holiday visas. 

They are simply known as: first. second, and third Working Holiday visas.
Each of the visas allow you to stay for 12 months each.

You don’t need to be skilled in any particular occupation or have confirmed employment before you arrive in Australia.

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462): 

The ‘try before you buy visa’. The 462 visa is a great option for UK citizens aged 18 to 30 who want to live and work in Australia for up to three years.
Unlike the 417 visa, which does not have education eligibility requirements, the 462 visa does. 

The main difference is that 462 visas require a letter of support from your government of origin (unless you're from the U.S.),
while 417 visas do not. 462 visas also require evidence of functional English, while 417 visas do not.

Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 190)

Your best bet is the 190 Visa. This permanent work visa is designed for skilled workers with employer sponsorship. To be eligible, you need to have relevant qualifications and experience in a specific skilled occupation.

Recruitment Consultants are eligible for the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) Visa if you meet the eligibility criteria.
You can out more information here: Skilled Occupation List

The good news is that most recruitment agencies in Australia are set up and able to sponsor recruitment consultants. The majority of our clients are generally open to sponsoring overseas talent, but the costs associated with sponsoring individuals have recently increased. Therefore, agencies expect you to demonstrate commitment and dedication (this can often be based on performance in your probationary period) before committing to sponsorship.

Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482): 

Another good option is the 482 Visa. This entitles skilled UK workers to work in Australia for up to four years if sponsored by an Australian employer. You must have professional skills or work experience in a specified industry where there is a current skills shortage in Australia. Again, many of our agency clients are set up and able to sponsor recruitment consultants with this visa. 

However, this visa has some caveats:

Business size

Excludes positions that are in a business that has fewer than five employees.
Excludes positions in a business with an annual turnover of less than AUD1M.


Excludes positions that have nominated annual earnings of less than AUD80,000.

Can my partner come to Australia with me?

The short answer is, Yes! 

The long answer is, it’s a little more complicated but definitely possible..
You are able to include family members in your visa application.
You can:

- Include them when you lodge your visa application
- Add them after you lodge your application but before we decide on your visa. 

But it’s worth doing your homework on this first. Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements. Family members not accompanying you to Australia might also need to meet our health and character requirements.

You can include family members that meet the following criteria:

- Children under 18 years
- Dependent children 18 years or older – must be financially and emotionally dependent on you (proof must be supplied)
- Spouse (opposite sex)
- De-facto partner, including same-sex couples, if you can prove you have lived together for a minimum of 6 months
immediately prior to the date your application is logged.

Visas granted to family members do not have any limitations on work rights – they may work part-time,
full-time and are not restricted to any particular type of work. Study is also permitted.

We have outlined some of the partner-related visas below to help you learn more about bringing a partner or family member to Australia.

Partner (Provisional) visa

Moving for love? This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

Only for the serious. The Prospective Marriage visa, often called the Fiancé Visa, is a way to move to Australia if you plan to marry either an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

With this type of visa, you can ​​live and work in Australia on the condition that you marry your partner within nine months of the date of the visa grant.

Permanent residency visas

The sure thing Visa. This is often considered the next step to secure your future in Australia for the long term. Once you have secured employer-nominated sponsorship either through a 190 or 482 visa, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency. 

PR as it is often referred to is often seen as the main option for moving to Australia indefinitely. Although it can be challenging to get permanent residency in Australia, you may be eligible if you are:

- The partner, child, parent or dependent relative of an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Being sponsored by an Australian employer and/or have relevant qualifications and work experience in a specific skilled occupation
- An entrepreneur, investors or business owner looking to establish or develop a business in Australia

You can find out more about Permanent Residency Visas here: Becoming an Australian Permanent Resident.